Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Learner of today Analogy

A learner is like a
Free Smilies and GlittersFree Smilies and GlittersFree Smilies and GlittersFree Smilies and GlittersFree Smilies and GlittersFree Smilies and GlittersFree Smilies and GlittersFree Smilies and Glitters
... there are always new destinations to explore, and you never know what adventures you will discover.



I think this analogy is appropriate to describe what learners are like in our current educational system because learning is always new and changing. Throughout history, the way people learn has greatly evolved. Education has gone from teacher centered, to student centered. As students learn, they will discover, explore, examine, investigate, and analyze new ideas in original ways. In the educational video, The Changing Nature of Knowledge, Sieman (2007), says "Knowledge is rapidly evolving, so it’s not just what we know today that is important, it is our ability to continue to stay current as knowledge changes… An average individual needs to find a way to stay current over the course of a lifetime." Siemans (2005) agrees by saying that "learning is a continual process, lasting for a lifetime." These researchers understand that throughout a person's lifetime, they will have the opportunity to encounter many learning experience in new and unique ways.

For example, in our current education system, the use of the Internet is becoming a prominent method of learning. Students are able to use the Internet to explore, discover and discuss topics they learn about, or wish to learn about in school. For example, students are able to use databases to do research, websites to learn new ideas, communication websites to connect with others, etc. In the educational video, The Impact of Social Media on Learning, Seiman (2007) says that online tools such a Facebook, Blogs, Twitter, Myspace, and Flickr, allows students to form connections with one another. Through these new forms of learning taking place in connection with the Internet, students are able to have the opportunity to learn in countless forms!

References:

Siemens, G. (2005). Connectivism: A learning theory for the digital age. International Journal of Instructional technology and distance learning. Retrieved September 12, 2009 from http://www.itdl.org/journal/jan_05/article01/htm.

Siemens, G. (2007). The changing nature of knowledge. Retrieved September13, 2009 from http://www.youtube.com/watchv=YMcTHndpzYg&feature=PlayList&p=3E43054A8703F57A&index=0

Siemens, G. (2007). The impact of social media on learning. Retrieved September13, 2009 from http://www.youtube.com/watchv=grI_h88vs3g&feature=PlayList&p=3E43054A8703F57A&index=3

5 comments:

  1. Lori,
    Your analogy is right on, and I think that the internet has really provided both teachers and learners with a way to redefine teaching and learning. While I hadn't really heard of web 2.0 tools such as ning and flickr before this course, I now see many opportunities for its use in connecting students with people from around the world.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori,

    Wow look how fancy! I love the animated letters! I couldn't agree more with your analogy, the internet has allowed our small communities to expanded and participate in the global society. Or perhaps it has shrunk the global community, but either way, it has made the world a smaller, much more connected place which provides endless possibilities for educators and learners!

    Great job!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori,

    I completely agree with you. My analogy was very similar. I put that today's learner is like a person who doesn't know where they're going, lol! I think traveler was the word that I was probably looking for, but couldn't think of at the time. :-) Siemens is right; it's no longer about what we learn, but rather how we learn it. That's why the learner of today is like a traveler who doesn’t know where he or she is going, but knows exactly where to look to find out.
    Also, I never got back to your Blackboard comment...I actually went to Thailand with NU too...I went in the Summer of 2007. It was so incredible!!! See you in class!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori,

    I love the analogy that you have made. I think this is very appropriate. In education the learner is constantly taken to a new place and going on a new adventure. The world is rapidly changing in front of our eyes, and being a learner is like taking a road trip that never ends. Technology is just one of those paths that a learner will cross, which is why I am glad we are exploring so many different things in this class!

    Kristine

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are very good at blogging. I like all the fancy graphics. I like your analogy. I beleive that learning does lead to exploration of new things. Its like walking down the street, you might be looking for Wilson Farms but find 3 gas stations and a bagel shop in the proccess!

    ReplyDelete