Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Wonderful World of Blogging and Mathematics Education: 3 Ways to Use Blogs in the Classroom

Blogging can be very beneficial inside the classroom. In my classroom, there are numerous ways that I would have my students use Blogs. Blogs allow students to be creative, engaged, and active in their learning experiences.

Three ways that I would use Blogs inside my classroom:

1. Blogs can be used as a journal. Instead of having students write in a journal every day after class to talk about how class went, any questions or concerns they may have, or to voice their opinion on math topics, students can instead transfer those thoughts to their Blogs. Through using the Blogs, other classmates can comment on each other's ideas, students can be creative by using pictures and colors, and since almost everyone has easy access to the Internet and often uses it, students will find the assignment interesting and original.

2. Blogs can be used as a way for students to connect to one another, and create a classroom community. As a teacher, I can use Blogs to allow students to learn about one another likes and dislikes, hobbies, families, backgrounds, future plans, etc. When the students are able to work together and respect one another, learning that takes place inside the classroom will be more fulfilling.

3. Blogs can be used as a way for the teacher and students to communicate with each other about math topics that interest them or math/education topics that are important in a real world application. As a teacher, I would assign the students to post at least one math topic per week from the news, community, or class that they have an opinion on. Their other responsibly would be to comment on at least five of their classmates ideas and opinions. Through using the Blog to talk about math concepts and ideas, students are going to gain a greater appreciation for math and understand how math is used all throughout the world and their everyday life.


While I have only listed three ideas for the use of Blogging in Mathematics education, there are countless ways that Blogs and Math can be used successfully.


Glitter Text Generator

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the more you use blogs the more uses you find for them. I think that my students probably know more about this technology than I do, but hopefully we can learn from each other! I am beginning to see many more applications for blogs in secondary mathematics!

    ReplyDelete